September 29, 2015

Do Engagement Rings Need To Be Expensive?

When a man gets down on one knee to profess his love for his beloved woman and holds up a shining ring for her, does that ring really need to be fancy? Made out of an expensive, rare metal topped with a gigantic diamond resting on top? Absolutely not. Before I explain why I believe this, let's look at the meaning of engagement rings.

An engagement ring is a gift from a man asking a woman for her hand in holy matrimony. If she accepts this token, she also accepts what this ring should mean and the man who gave it to her. It should signify the promise, and sacrifice, he is eager to make for her. It promises that he will love her for all the days of his life, that he will protect her against all evil, be an upstanding spiritual leader for her and perhaps future children when they are married, to provide for her, to honor her dignity, to confide in her, and much, much more. When she accepts this ring, she is also making some of these promises and countless more. When a couple slide on those wedding bands on each other on their joyous wedding day, it will be a constant reminder for them to remember that they are committed to each other, until death do they part. Now, I'm your capital R romantic, so I find this enchanting. I could go on and on about the significance of the meaning behind rings, but I now want to explain to you why I believe fancy rings aren't completely necessary.


I talked about what a ring signifies, but tell me this. Does the meaning change whether the ring presented has a huge gemstone, or is a simple yet beautiful gold or silver band? I hope your answer is no. I'm not saying that fancy rings are bad, ladies. A man should want to treat you like a princess, because you are worthy of this treatment. You are the daughter of the King of all kings! But this does not mean that we should think any less of a man if he cannot afford a simpler ring. It is the man and his relationship with God you should be focused on. How he treats you, and the people around you. Most importantly, you should be focused on your future together! Not how spectacular the ring looks on your finger. Accept the man for who he is. I hope and pray he is a faithful man who will help you in your journey to heaven. And that is all I have to say on that matter today. Stay holy, friends.

"THE DIGNITY OF EVERY WOMAN IS THE DUTY OF EVERY MAN."
POPE JOHN PAUL II





2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I totally agree with everything you said. The other day I told my mom "if someone gave me a big engagement ring, it would get in the way of me doing my animal chores" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog exists? DUDE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete